What to Write in a Baby Shower Card?
A baby shower is an event of pure joy both for the parents-to-be and for the guests. But attending a baby shower is not as simple as it may seem. First, you have to decide which is the best gift for the future baby. Then, you have to decide which are the best wishes to write in a baby shower card. If friends or family, or even the future parents, can help you find the right gift, writing the wishes is only your responsibility.
I know how hard it can be to find the right words when it comes to something as delicate as the arrival of a baby. If you have no idea about what to write in a baby shower card, or how to make your baby shower card stand out, inspire yourself from this guide and make your note unforgettable.
Who to Address a Baby Shower Card
A few years ago, back when baby showers used to be exclusively feminine events, addressing a baby shower card was an easy task. Today, depending on the type of baby shower you’re going to, or on your relationship with the parents and the family, you can address the baby shower card either to the mother, to both parents or to the whole family.
If the baby shower is organized only for the mom-to-be and her girlfriends, you should address the shower card only to the future mother. You can begin with the classical formulation “Dear” followed by the mother’s first name. If you are really close to the mother, you can even use a nickname.
However, regardless of your relationship with the mother, if the baby shower is a formal event, write the proper name of the mother. You should also use the mother’s proper name if you only know her in a professional setting.
If you are a close friend of the couple, address the baby shower card to both parents, mentioning only their first names. You should also address the baby shower card to both parents if the baby shower is organized as a mixed party.
Make sure the name on the baby shower card match the name written on the envelope, as this is an important detail.
What to Write in the Baby Shower Card
The most important part of the baby shower card is, without any doubt, the body. The content will depend very much on the type of party, as well as on your relationship with the mother or parents. The body of a baby shower card should be simple, concise and clear, but this doesn’t mean it has to be dull.
If you are a close friend or relative, what you should write should come from your heart. However, if you’re not so close or just need some inspiration, here are a few ideas on what to write in a baby shower card.
If you are not a close friend of the mother, general wishes such as “Wishing you all the best for the new arrival!” or “Congratulations on your upcoming new arrival!” might be excellent ideas.
Here is a list of inspiring baby shower card messages:
- “My congratulations and best wishes for this exciting new phase of your life. Get ready for busy days, many sleepless nights and endless love!”
- “Best wishes for the upcoming birth of your baby. Expect a lifetime of happiness and joy!”
- “A very warm welcome to the precious little boy/girl that is on the way. May he/she fill your days with fun and happiness!”
- “I wish you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy and a safe delivery. Congratulations!”
- “Your home will soon be filled with laughter and toys. Your house will often be a mess, but there will always be love and joy. Wishing you many happy memories!”If you are a close friend of the mother, the message could even have a funny note.
Some phrases you can use for your baby shower card are:
- “A reason to go shopping is always good, and I’m glad to shop for you and for your future baby. Congratulations and best wishes!”
- “Enjoy the last moments of peace. Your life will never be the same once the baby arrives, but you’ll love the change! Congratulations!”
- “If you need more space for when the baby arrives, get rid of your bed. You won’t be using it for a while anyway. Best wishes!”
- “A baby is on the way… what a great excuse to shop! Congratulations!”
- “Here’s our short-term forecast: a shower followed by a sunny baby! Congratulations and all the best!”
If you are a close relative or a very close friend of the mom-to-be, the message written on the baby shower card can be more personal. In this case, there are many options to choose from when it comes to what to write in a baby shower card. These cards are great if you want to transmit the most personal feelings and thoughts to the mother. Just write anything you feel like saying. However, if you need some inspiration, here are some personal messages you could use:
- “I am so happy for you. I’m sure you’re going to be an excellent mother and I can’t wait to meet the little one. Know that I will be close to you every step of the way and I look forward to watching the baby grow and blossom into a young boy/girl. Congratulations!”
- “Wishing you a safe delivery and a healthy baby boy/girl. I know that both of you are going to be awesome parents. I’m so happy for you. All the best!”
- “I know you are a little worried about motherhood, but don’t be. You have the strength, patience, and confidence needed to be an awesome mom. Your life will completely change, but I will be by your side every step of the way. The most wonderful time of your life is about to begin and trust me, nothing compares to the feeling of holding your baby in your arms. Congratulations and I can’t wait to meet the baby!”
If the mother is faithful, you could even write a religious message in the baby shower card. If the family is Christian, some suggestions might be:
- “God bless you and the baby. Looking forward to meeting him/her soon!”• “Every time a baby is born a new star of hope lights up the skies. You star will start shining soon and a little bit of heaven will come down to earth. Congratulations!”
- “From the Heaven above, God will soon send you a baby to love!”
- “Babies are tiny examples of God’s endless love. May your baby be a blessing for you and your family!”
- “I’m praying for a safe delivery of your baby. God has blessed you with a little miracle!”The suggestions above are all perfect if you’re going to a regular baby shower, with a mother that had a great pregnancy and that is expecting a healthy baby. But what happens if you’re invited to a baby shower where the mother is expecting twins or had a difficult pregnancy?
In these cases, you can simply adapt a simple message to fit a more “special” card, but if you feel in difficulty about what to write in the baby shower card, here are some tips you should follow.
If the mother is expecting twins, it will be difficult to find a suitable card on the market. But even if the selection of baby shower cards dedicated to multiple pregnancies is limited, you can simply personalize your message to address this special circumstance. In this case, you could even use a hand-made baby shower card created especially for this event.
If the pregnancy is difficult, or if you know that the expected baby will be born with health problems, remember that your baby shower card is meant to bring joyful congratulations and optimism. Your words should offer a little bit of comfort to the future parents and restore their confidence and faith.
In some cases, a baby shower can even be held in cases of adoption. In this case, remember not to make any weird references to giving birth. Wishing that the baby inherits the mom’s smile or dad’s eyes is also inappropriate. A general congratulation message and the best wishes for the new family are the best things to write.
How to End a Baby Shower Card
The ending of a baby shower card is also very important. Depending on your relationship with the mother, you can end your baby shower card with a general formulation, such as “Best wishes”, “Kind regards”, or “All the best”. If you are close to the mother, a more appropriate ending would be “Love always”, “With love” or “Hugs and kisses”. These endings are perfect for all baby shower cards, including those written for mothers expecting twins, for adoption or difficult pregnancies.
If the message written in the body was a funny message, you should end the baby shower card on the same note. Some ideas, in this case, are: “Rock on”, “Enthusiastically” or “Peace, love and happiness”. For a religious message instead, you could end your baby shower card with “Blessings” or “God bless you”.
Regardless of your relationship with the mother, if the baby shower is formal, in addition to writing a formal congratulations message, you should also end the baby shower card in a formal way, with “Yours sincerely” or “Kind regards”.
As you can see, writing a baby shower card is not as complicated as it may seem. All you have to do now is to inspire yourself from the messages above, then personalize the one you like most. Regardless of your choice, your baby shower card will definitely stand out.
Have you ever attended a baby shower before? Do you have any other suggestions about what to write in a baby shower card? If you want to share your thoughts and ideas with us, leave a comment below. We would love to hear from you and you could even inspire someone else.
Now all you have to do is to find the perfect baby shower card and present your congratulations together with a beautiful gift. The future mom will surely appreciate it!