How to Make a Baby Shower Invitation: A Step by Step Guide
If you're planning a baby shower, you probably know already that one of the fundamental aspects are the invitations. When it comes to this aspect, you basically have two choices: you can order them from an event company or decide to do them by yourself.
If you opt for do-it-yourself invitations you will not only be able to save a lot of money that can be invested in other elements such as decorations or food and drinks, but you will also be able to show your guests how important they are by sending a handmade invitation.
To help you create awesome invitations for the party you’re about to host, we decided to give you some tips on how to make a baby shower invitation, together with step-by-step tutorials for the creation of beautiful cards.
Make a Baby Shower Invitation using the Computer
There are many ways to create a baby shower invitation. The most simple way would be downloading a template from the internet and print it on blank cards. There is a myriad of baby shower invitation templates available that you could use.
For this, you need a personal computer with internet connection, a printer and as many blank cards as the number of your guests. You should then choose the ready-to-print model you like best and simply print it on each card, then fill in the dates.
Alternatively, if you’re skilled in using editing software, you could even design your own baby shower invitation model. You can either use a software such as Photoshop, a word editor, or other free programs that are more basic and easier to use. If you choose to create your own invitations, you will still need blank cards or good-quality paper on which to print the invitations.
Once you’ve created the model and printed it on the cards or paper, you can also decorate the invitation cards with other elements, such as glitter or ribbons.
You can watch a detailed tutorial on how to make a baby shower invitation using Photoshop in this video.
Handmade Baby Shower Invitation
Image Credit to TRISHA
If you’re not so skilled at using the computer, but love handmade objects and have a good manual dexterity, you can even make the invitations by yourself. When it comes to handmade baby shower invitations you can use basically any model you wish, such as onesies, baby bottles, diapers, etc.
There are many templates to choose from, but to give you an idea about how to make a handmade baby shower invitation we will explain how to make a onesie baby shower invitation from scratch. To find the detailed tutorial, together with the photos, click here. Alternatively, you can search online for the templates, print them on the paper you wish to use and just make the necessary cuts.
To create onesie baby shower invitations you would need the following materials:
For the cards
- Large sheets of scrapbooking paper. Alternatively, you can use handcrafted paper which looks awesome and is environmental friendly.
- Round hole punch
For the decorations
How to create the invitations
- The first thing to do is to cut the paper into sheets of 12”x4.5”. You can achieve this by using the pencil and the ruler to mark the paper, then cutting it with the scissors.
- Fold the paper in half to obtain a card of 6”x4.5”.
- At this point, you must determine the center of the folded line, then cut the “neck opening” holes into the paper with the help of the round hole punch.
- To make the leg openings, cut a three-quarters circle on each corner from the bottom of the card.
- To create the sleeves, measure about 1.5” below the folded line and draw a straight line of about 1.25” long from the outer edge to the center of the card. From the inner edge of this line, draw an oblique line to the upper edge of the leg opening, creating a triangle. With the help of the scissors cut out the triangle shape and you will achieve a full onesie.
- Once you have done the first card, you can use it as a template to cut all the other cards.
- If you don’t have a great handwriting, you can type the text of the invitation on the computer, print it on normal paper, then cut it into pieces and stick it to the interior of the card with glue. However, the invitation would look much better if you handwrite it.
- The last thing to do is to decorate the exterior as you wish, using stickers with funny prints on them, buttons, ribbons or glitter.
Once you have created all the invitations, you only have to write them and send them to your guests. There are some key factors you must take into account when writing the invitations. Here is how to write them properly.
The first line of text should make it very clear what the invitation card is about. Formulations such as “You are invited to a baby shower in honor of...” or “I am delighted to invite you to a baby shower in honor of...” are essential.
The full name of the future mother, or of the parents if you’re hosting a couples baby shower, should be clearly stated on the card. Avoid mentioning only the first name of the mother unless you invite exclusively very close friends and relatives.
The next thing to specify is who is hosting the baby shower (that would be you) and the date, time and location. Once you have written all the essential information, ask the guests to confirm their presence.
If the mother is registered with any baby items store, or if there is an available gift list, you should mention it at the bottom of the invitation. Also, mention if the husbands/partners are invited or if the event is dedicated exclusively to the ladies.
Now you just have to send those invitations and attend your guests to the event.
Over to you...
We hope that this guide was useful in helping you figure out how to make a baby shower invitation. Have you ever made baby shower invitations already? Do you have any suggestions? Please leave a comment with your tips or concerns. And if you liked this article, please share it with your friends. It might be useful to them too.