Best Crib Mattress for Newborn: A Buying Guide For New Moms
Everybody knows that a newborn needs a lot of attention. However, most parents believe that these attentions must be focused on the meal times of the infant and on his personal hygiene, forgetting one of the most important things in the life of a newborn: the sleep.
We know that for an adult a good rest is essential because it allows him to cope as best as possible, so why should it be different for a newborn? To make sure your little one sleeps well, you should pay attention to the crib you’re going to purchase, and in particular to the mattress.
A crib mattress for newborn must have some specific characteristics that will not only allow the baby to have a correct and serene sleep but will also protect his health and safety. Since it is not very simple to choose a crib mattress, we put up this guide that will let you know what features and characteristics you should look for. In addition, we also made a list of the most popular crib mattresses and decided which is the best crib mattress for newborns available on the market.
Choosing a Crib Mattress: Things to Consider
Choosing a crib mattress is not as simple as choosing a mattress for your bed. Small babies have special needs and for this reason, a crib mattress must be totally suitable to ensure a good development, a good rest, and safety.
Newborn babies have a reduced muscle tone, and for this reason, the crib mattress should be rigid. If the mattress becomes hollow, the baby could take a wrong position while sleeping, which is not at all desirable.
The mattress should also be breathable. A good air flow is essential in order to reduce the proliferation of many allergens, such as mites and bacteria. In addition, a breathable mattress is also important because it will reduce sweating and will let the baby’s skin to breath. Ideally, the mattress should be covered with cotton lining.
A common dilemma for new parents is also the typology of the mattress. Basically, there are two types of crib mattresses: in foam or with innersprings. Both of them could be a good choice and in many cases, the preference of one type over the other is only a matter of habit. However, to help you take an informed decision, we will explain in detail the characteristics of each type.
• Foam mattresses are becoming more and more popular in the last years, thanks to their main characteristic: the capacity of adapting to any body shape. A foam mattress might be a great choice for a newborn, but you should know that it needs some periodical maintenance. In fact, you should flip it over at least every two weeks, or it could create real ditches that might affect the correct position of the baby. If you decide to buy a foam mattress for the newborn, pay attention to choose a hypoallergenic product.
• Innerspring mattresses are probably the most popular in the world. They are breathable, require little maintenance and are more cost effective. This type of mattress is really suitable for newborn babies because it can adequately support the little one with the help of springs. The only downside of these mattresses is that they might feel extremely firm because the reduced weight of the newborn doesn’t exert enough pressure on the innersprings. If you decide to choose an innerspring mattress for the crib, our recommendation is to choose a high-quality mattress. Remember that the springs are made of steel and they might easily harm the baby.In addition to these things, you should also pay attention to some other important features before deciding which is the best crib mattress for newborns. Let’s have a look at them.
Important Features of Crib Mattresses
1. Quality Materials
When it comes to choosing the best crib mattress, comparing prices is definitely not enough. The first thing to consider is the quality of the materials used for the construction of the mattress, as the quality is directly proportional to the mattress’ ability to offer a comfortable sleep to the newborn. The best materials are, without any doubt, the certified ones, as you will be sure they are not toxic. A good quality material will also ensure an efficient air flow. You should probably choose a mattress filled with natural raw materials, such as fiber or wool. The new foam solutions could be a great alternative, but pay attention to what type of foam has been used.
Too many parents overlook this important aspect. If we cannot imagine how a mattress can be dangerous for anyone, know that the presence of zippers or buttons presents a real risk for the little ones. While it is important to purchase a mattress with a removable cover, you must pay attention to its closures. Babies might tear off the buttons and chew them, therefore they can suffocate with these items. The zippers, on the other hand, can be easily opened and the babies can get stuck inside the cover. It might seem like a remote probability, but why should you risk?
The mattress should perfectly match the dimensions of the crib. Most manufacturers produce standard dimension mattresses that match almost all the cribs available on the market. However, if you have a custom made crib, make sure you measure well the frame and search for a mattress that fits in perfectly. If you are unable to find the right dimension on the market, the best solution is to contact a manufacturer and ask for a custom made mattress. The investment shouldn’t be too expensive and you will be sure about the comfort and safety of your child.
4. Nanotechnology features
Nanotechnology is often used on crib mattresses to help the baby calm down and fall asleep, or to keep insects away. In fact, the mattresses can be treated with various microparticles that are activated by the pressure applied on the mattress by the weight of the baby. These microparticles release various fragrances that can work as aromatherapy for the baby, as insect repellent or as both.
5. Easily cleanable
A very important feature of the crib mattress is the cleaning ease. You should choose a mattress with a fully removable and washable cover. You should be able to wash the linen at very high temperatures, and cotton might be the best solution.
In addition to all these features, you should pay a lot of attention at what mattress you choose if your baby is born with allergy problems. If your newborn suffers from allergies, or if you just want a hypoallergenic mattress for your baby, you should know that there is a special material designed to reduce allergens such as mites and fungus.
This material is called X-Static and is manufactured in silver fibers. Thanks to this characteristic, the material is able to prevent bacteria growth, reducing mites. The result is a more peaceful sleep for the babies who suffer from allergies, and a reduced risk of allergy development in healthy babies.
As you can see, the right crib mattress can be in foam or with innersprings. There are thousands of options out there, so finding the best one might be confusing. For this reason, we made a list of the best crib mattresses for newborn. In this way, it will be easier for you to choose the right one.
Five Best Crib Mattresses for Newborn
1. Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress or Toddler Bed Mattress
An excellent hypoallergenic mattress that comes with a waterproof cover, this hypoallergenic baby crib mattress is ideal for newborn. The interior of this Milliard mattress is made of foam, ensuring optimum comfort for the baby. In fact, the foam filling is able to keep the mattress hard yet comfortable.
The foam filling of this mattress is reinforced with a waterproof encasement made of a breathable material. In addition, the filling is also certified, so you can be sure the product is safe. The encasement is made of a dark blue fabric with polka dots pattern, being really attractive and suitable for both boys and girls.
Things We Liked
- Comfortable: this mattress is designed to allow an optimal air flow, regulating the baby’s temperature while sleeping. The foam filling increases the weight distribution resulting in a more restful sleep for the baby.
- Hypoallergenic: the mattress is made of an antimicrobial and anti-allergens material that is perfect for babies suffering from asthma or allergies.
- Removable waterproof cover: to avoid wetting the mattress, Milliard created a waterproof cover that is removable. You will be able to easily clean it, and you can even purchase more than one so you will be able to change it as often as you like.
- Standard dimensions: this mattress is perfect to fit a standard sized crib. Its dimensions are 52" x 27.5" x 5.5".
Things We Didn't Like
- This mattress has rounded corners and for this reason, it will not perfectly match a rectangular crib. In fact, you will have to deal with the gaps that will remain between the crib and the mattress.
2. Newton Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed Mattress
One of the best crib mattresses available on the market, but also one of the most expensive, is this Crib Mattress from Newton. However, since the comfort and safety of your child should come before anything else, this mattress is probably worth all the money.
This mattress is recommended by most pediatricians, being breathable and designed in a way to allow the baby to sleep in a bed facing position without the risk of getting suffocated. The innovative core of the mattress is made of polymer and doesn’t contain any latex or springs. The mattress is covered in a tridimensional cover that is removable and washable.
Things We Liked
- Completely washable: although the cover is removable, the manufacturer advertises this mattress as completely washable, which means that you will be able to achieve the highest level of hygiene.
- Certified: the mattress is Greenguard certified, being completely safe for newborn or small children.
- 100% organic materials: Newton designed this crib mattress in 100% organic materials. The core is a combination of food-grade polymer and air.
- Environmental friendly: being made of organic materials, this mattress is completely recyclable and environmentally friendly.
Things We Didn't Like
- Despite being an excellent mattress, it still is very expensive. However, even if it might not seem to be the best solution for price-conscious parents, its quality makes it a long-term investment.
3. Colgate Classica I Lightweight Foam Crib Mattress with Waterproof Cover
A great choice for a crib mattress is this Classica I Lightweight Foam Crib Mattress from Colgate. The mattress is very lightweight and covered in a vinyl encasement that prevents all liquids from penetrating the foam. Despite being a foam mattress, it is very firm and comfortable for newborn.
Another big plus of this mattress is the square corners that fit perfectly inside the crib’s frame. In addition to this, the mattress is also manufactured in anti-flammable, hypoallergenic materials that are certified by Greenguard and CertiPUR-US®.
Things We Liked
- Safe for children: this mattress is manufactured without harmful chemicals, it is hypoallergenic and fits the crib perfectly thanks to its squared corners.
- Remains flat: despite being made of foam, this mattress is extremely firm and remains almost completely flat when the baby is sleeping.
- Lightweight: the mattress weighs only 8 lbs., so you will be able to easily change the sheets, the mattress encasement or flip the mattress on the other side.
- Triple-layered cover: The mattress boasts a triple-layered cover that is tear-resistant and waterproof, being easily cleanable with a damp cloth and soap.
Things We Didn't Like
- Although the mattress is designed to fit perfectly in any standard-dimensioned crib, the square corners can make fitting sheets rather difficult, since most sheets are designed with round corners.
4. My First Mattress Premium Memory Foam Crib Mattress with Removable Waterproof Cover
Considered one of the best crib mattresses made of foam, this Memory Foam Crib Mattress from My First Mattress is designed for the use of both infants and toddlers, providing an extra firm support for children of various ages. The cover of the mattress is not only waterproof, but it is also made of velour that is cozier than many other covers available on the market.
When it comes to safety standards, this mattress is designed to fit into the crib perfectly. In addition, being extremely firm, it will maintain its position and it will not become a threat for the newborn as they sleep on their tummy.
Things We Liked
- Velvety waterproof cover: the cover of this mattress is soft and comfortable to sleep on. In addition, the cover is waterproof, removable, and washable.
- 2-in-1 mattress: this mattress is perfect for the use from when the baby is born until he is big enough to sleep in a regular bed.
- Affordable: compared to other similar mattresses, this one has a very affordable price for a high-quality mattress.
- Hypoallergenic and anti-microbial: the mattress is ideal for infants suffering from allergies, while its anti-microbial surface keeps the mites and other potentially harmful agents at a distance.
Things We Didn't Like
- The mattress has a strange odor that can be easily removed by placing it outside for a few hours.
5. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
This crib mattress from Sealy is made of soybean foam, an efficient replacement for some of the common chemicals used in the manufacturing process of foam mattresses. In addition, the core is covered by two layers of padding and a vinyl laminate which is phthalate-free.
What makes this mattress a great choice are its squared corners that perfectly fit all standard sized cribs. In addition, this mattress is also lightweight and extremely firm. It is certified by Greenguard, which means the mattress is safe for newborn and small children.
Things We Liked
- Easy to clean: the mattress is covered by a pearl embossed waterproof cover that can be easily cleaned with wet wipes or with a damp cloth and mild soap.
- Comfortable: to provide the maximum comfort to the newborn, Sealy manufactured this mattress with a high-density core and cotton cushioning that provides a balanced sleeping environment.
- Safe: the mattress maintains a flat sleeping surface at all times, so you will not have to worry about your infant’s sleeping position.
- Suitable for toddlers: designed primarily as a crib mattress for newborn, this mattress also fits well into a toddler bed.
Things We Didn't Like
- The mattress is advertised as a soybean foam mattress, but the truth is that it only contains about 20% of soybean. The mattress is, however, a valid choice for the parents who cannot afford a very expensive mattress for their baby.
Conclusions and Final Pick
As you can see, there are many mattresses on the market that can represent a valid option for your newborn’s crib. However, we believe that when it comes to children, you shouldn’t mind the price very much, but rather the quality of the materials and the safety.
For this reason, according to us, the best crib mattress for newborn available on the market is the Newton Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed Mattress. It is true that this is one of the most expensive options, but the quality of the materials used to manufacture this mattress definitely makes it one of the best.
This mattress is not made of regular foam but of a composition of food-gradepolymer and air which makes it very soft, yet firm and secure. The mattress doesn’t contain any latex, so you will not have to worry about latex allergies. On the other hand, the hazards of the innersprings will also be only a bad memory if you choose to purchase this product.
This mattress from Newton is also breathable and designed to ensure the maximum safety for your child. In addition to this, the mattress is completely washable. This will allow you to maintain a good hygiene level. However, if you don’t want to wash the whole mattress, the waterproof cover will keep it away from any type of liquids.
If you believe that the investment is not justified because the infant will outgrow the crib stage quickly, consider that this mattress is designed to fit not only the crib but a toddler bed as well. This means that you will be able to use this mattress for a few years without the need of changing it. This, in addition to all the other features, makes the Newton Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed Mattress the best crib mattress for newborn available on the market.