Every new mom has so many doubts. Usually, the first question that arises when a baby is born is what are the best diapers. After finding a suitable answer, most moms also want to know what other hygiene products their baby needs, including high-quality baby wipes.
|HUGGIES Simply Clean Baby Wipes, Unscented||$$$|
|HUGGIES Natural Care Baby Wipes||$$|
|Seventh Generation Free and Clear Baby Wipes with Flip Top...||$$$$$|
|Pampers Baby Wipes Sensitive||$|
|Babyganics Face, Hand & Baby Wipes||$$$$|
On the market, there are dozens of brands proposing what they claim the best baby wipes. But are they truly the best? Should you trust the brand or make a thorough research?
Similar to many other products, baby wipes vary from nay to yay! Some of them are full of chemical substances that might harm your little one. Others simply don’t clean as they should. Then, there are those baby wipes that provide the perfect balance between delicacy and high-standard hygiene.
Since your baby deserves the best, let’s see how to choose the best baby wipes for delicate skin and which are the brands you should trust!
What Are Baby Wipes
Baby wipes are wet napkins designed specifically to clean baby bottoms but used by many moms for a wide range of other purposes. In fact, besides wiping off the baby mess, many moms use the wipes to clean their baby’s hands or face, and even to remove makeup.
For this reason, it is easy to understand that choosing baby wipes of the highest quality is a must.
Practical and comfortable, baby wipes are a good alternative to soap and water especially when traveling. But are they always safe to use?
The answer is provided by a study conducted by the American Academy of Pediatrics and published in their Journal of Pediatrics. According to the research, some children may develop a form of allergy that manifests as itchy skin and that causes rashes and scaly skin.
For a long time, these types of allergic reactions have been associated with other medical conditions such as psoriasis, yet they are caused by a chemical preservative known as MIT or IM and that triggers the reaction on the more sensitive babies.
MIT or IM is a powerful biocide preservative and it is often used in personal care products. As such, if your baby has a really delicate skin or suffers from allergies, it is advisable to search for baby wipes without MIT.
For all the other babies, Dr. Chang, who conducted the research, advises on the limited use of the wipes. As such, in circumstances that allow the use of alternative cleaning methods, such as washing or bathing the baby, it is advisable to use them and limit the use of the wipes for traveling alone.
That being said, many moms feel the need to use baby wipes in all circumstances. So, which are the best? Let’s have a look at how to choose baby wipes!
How To Choose The Best Baby Wipes
Almost all moms believe that the best way of choosing the right product for their baby is by asking the other moms. Nevertheless, when it comes to the delicate skin of our creature, we should keep in mind that what works well for a baby might not be suitable for yours.
Not only this but what is considered a great solution for one mom might be unsuitable for another. Diapers and baby wipes are expensive, so especially the budget-conscious parents will find it difficult to find an affordable brand they trust.
For a matter that is so delicate and confusing, the way to choose the best baby wipes is by observing your baby. Look how your child reacts to the product, check her skin and see if it develops rashes, and then check the overall characteristics of the product to see if it is really suitable for your little one.
As a general rule, baby wipes shouldn’t be excessively wet nor too dry. In the case of infants, baby wipes are majorly used for the intimate hygiene and in this case, you should choose two types of baby wipes, a drier type used to wipe away liquid dejections and a wetter type for the poo.
Baby wipes should also be able to moisturize the delicate skin of your baby that will most likely suffer enough inside the diaper.
Another thing to consider is the fragrance. Most baby wipes are fragrance-free yet some brands use mild scents. Of course, you can choose the type you like best but keep in mind that your baby might not appreciate the fragrance as much as you do.
In the case of toddlers, if you use the wipes to clean their face or hands, fragrance-free wipes are a better choice.
You should also consider the overall quality of the wipes. Some of them tear apart easily while others stick together and are hard to remove from the pack. While the first is pretty much useless, the latter will make your life hard especially when holding the baby with one hand.
The dimension is another thing to consider. It might seem stupid to say, but a baby wipe shouldn’t be too small nor too large. Finding the ones of the perfect size might be tricky yet essential for your and your baby’s comfort.
What Baby Wipes To Avoid?
Similar to the vast majority of the cosmetics, baby wipes come with long lists of ingredients. Many parents are confused and have no idea which of these ingredients are harmless and which to avoid. To make things easier, here is a list of things to be aware of when buying baby wipes.
- Silicone: silicone in baby wipes has the role of making baby’s skin softer. In reality, they only create a layer of artificial molecules on the baby’s skin that prevents proper airflow. Because of this reason, the skin is more exposed to rashes and the baby might develop an allergy.
- Parabens: these are a series of preservatives that were demonstrated to interfere with the endocrine system, creating various conditions in small children.
- Formaldehyde-releasing chemicals: formaldehyde is a strong bactericide but also an irritant and potentially carcinogenic substance. For this reason, you should stay away from the baby wipes listing it on the ingredients.
The Best Baby Wipes For Delicate Skin
1. HUGGIES Simply Clean Baby Wipes, Unscented
Huggies is a renowned brand of disposable diapers, training pants and baby wipes producing infant and toddler essentials since 1978. The brand is one of the most popular among moms from all over the world, majorly because of their hard work and dedication in producing the best baby hygiene essentials.
The Simply Clean Unscented Baby Wipes are designed to respond to various needs from cleaning the bottom of an infant to the messes created by toddlers when eating or playing.Check Price on Amazon
Huggies baby wipes are paraben free and alcohol-free, while their lack of fragrance makes them perfect for a versatile use. In fact, parents can use these wipes to clean their baby’s face or hands, or even the table after a messy lunch or dinner.
Moreover, these baby wipes are dermatologically tested and hypoallergenic, being suitable even for the babies with really delicate skin.
Things We Liked
- Pack of nine: all moms know that even the biggest pack of baby wipes finishes fast. For this reason, buying a pack of nine regular packages seems to be a great solution.
- Disposable soft packaging: the wipes come in soft packs that are easy to carry in the diaper bag and that fit with ease even in a small purse.
- Versatile: thanks to their properties, these baby wipes are perfect to use for multiple purposes that vary from cleaning your baby’s skin to cleaning surfaces or toys.
- Two versions available: these baby wipes are fragrance-free, yet the manufacturer proposes a scented version if you like the fresh smell of a clean baby skin.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Getting the wipes out of the pack might be tricky, especially when you only have one available hand.
2. HUGGIES Natural Care Baby Wipes
If your baby’s skin is really sensitive yet you love Huggies wipes, a great alternative to the Simply Clean wipes presented above are the Natural Care Baby Wipes.
These wipes are designed for the most sensitive skin of newborn and infants, and they are characterized by a lack of the allergenic substance MIT we mentioned above. Moreover, these baby wipes are enriched with vitamin E and Aloe Vera, keeping the delicate skin of your baby moist and soft.Check Price on Amazon
The wipes are also suitable for alternative uses, such as cleaning the face and hands of toddlers.
The packs have a reseal closure that keep the wipes fresh for a long time and they come in a box of three, for a total of 648 wipes.
Things We Liked
- Keep baby skin healthy: the wipes are enriched with Aloe Vera extract and with vitamin E, to substances that maintain the skin healthy.
- Ideal for a newborn: these baby wipes are completely free from allergenic substances, they are unscented and alcohol-free, being suitable to use on the delicate skin of a newborn.
- Thick: compared with other wipes of the manufacturer, the Natural Care baby wipes are thicker and more effective in removing all types of soiling.
- Easy to dispense: the wipes are easy to dispense even with one hand, an important feature when trying to change a restless infant.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although thick, the wipes tear apart quite easily and this might be frustrating in some circumstances.
3. Seventh Generation Free and Clear Baby Wipes with Flip Top Dispenser
Another type of baby wipes particularly suitable for babies with sensitive skin are the Seventh Generation Free and Clear Baby Wipes.
Suitable for babies of all ages, these wipes are thick and come with multiple benefits. To begin with, they are fragrance and alcohol-free and they are also manufactured without the use of parabens or phenoxyethanol.Check Price on Amazon
Just like the Huggies above, these wipes are moistened with vitamin E and Aloe Vera, two substances often used in the skin care products thanks to their numerous benefits. In fact, thanks to this characteristic, the wipes are suitable for multiple uses, such as cleaning the baby’s skin before putting on a clean diaper or cleaning her hands and face whenever necessary.
The wipes come in a pack of six, for a total of 384 wipes.
Things We Liked
- Moisten the skin: vitamin E and Aloe Vera are renowned all over the world for their positive action on the skin, and their presence in these baby wipes is a big plus.
- Clean all baby messes: these wipes are perfect to clean all your baby’s messes and can be used when changing the diaper or to clean hands and face when on the go.
- Easy to dispense: the wipes are easy to dispense thanks to the flip-top snap-tight opening present on each package.
- Two purchase options: the wipes are available in packs of six or twelve, for a total of either 384 or 768 wipes. Each individual pack contains 64 baby wipes.
Things We Didn’t Like
- These wipes are a little expensive compared with many other brands.
4. Pampers Baby Wipes Sensitive
As a famous brand trusted by many parents, Pampers couldn’t have missed from our ranking. When it comes to the most sensitive skin of the little ones, Pampers proposes its Sensitive Baby Wipes.
According to the manufacturer, these wipes are the preferred of the hospitals. Regardless of how true the statement is, the truth is that these wipes stand out when it comes to cleaning characteristics.Check Price on Amazon
What I like about them is their thickness and the fact that they are able to provide a superior cleaning with less wiping. As a mom, you probably know already how sensitive the skin of newborn and infants can be, so this is definitely an aspect to consider when choosing the best baby wipes for your little one.
The wipes are also fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and they come in a pack of 576.
Things We Liked
- Superior softness: the Pampers Sensitive baby wipes are made to respond to different needs. As such, they can be used to clean bottoms, faces, and hands.
- Restores the natural pH: because of the diaper, the baby’s skin is usually subject to pH alterations mainly caused by moist and poor breathability. These baby wipes claim to restore the natural pH of the skin.
- Soft Grip Texture: these baby wipes are designed with a unique Soft Grip texture able to remove the mess faster and easier, without excessive wiping.
- Hypoallergenic: Pampers baby wipes are hypoallergenic and suitable for all babies, including the ones with hypersensitive skin.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although hypoallergenic, these wipes seem to have difficulties when it comes to handling diaper rash.
5. Babyganics Face, Hand & Baby Wipes
Lastly, a type of baby wipes less popular than the ones mentioned above but that impresses with its incredible properties is the Babyganics Face, Hand & Baby Wipes.
The main thing to like about these baby wipes is the formulation that excludes the use of parabens, alcohol, phthalates, fragrances, artificial dyes or sulfates. Moreover, the product is non-allergenic, extremely gentle on skin and not tested on animals.Check Price on Amazon
On the other hand, the baby wipes contain plant-based ingredients including a NeoNourish seed oil blend formulated to soften and protect the sensitive skin of the little ones.
The wipes come in packs of different sizes. To test them and see if they work for you, there is a 300-count option and you can choose between different sizes up to 1800 wipes. The 400-wipes choice is probably the most popular.
Things We Liked
- NeoNourish Seed Oil: this oil is made with different seeds and it is formulated to keep hydrated and soft even the most sensitive parts of your baby.
- Antioxidant protection: the wipes contain extracts of tomato, raspberry, black cumin, sunflower, and cranberry, providing an excellent antioxidant protection.
- Hypoallergenic: thanks to the chamomile extract, these wipes provide a calming and hypoallergenic action on the skin.
- Multiple purchase options: you will be able to choose between packs of multiple sizes according to your needs or preferences.
Things We Didn’t Like
- It seems that this product is awesome, yet some parents experienced some issues with the wipes as some batches proved to be faulty.
Conclusion And Final Pick
When it comes to something as delicate as the sensitive skin of a baby, choosing the best products is a daunting task. It is hard to determine which baby wipes are the most suitable for each child, nevertheless, we consider HUGGIES Natural Care Baby Wipes the best.
We like these baby wipes because they are completely free of all potentially-harmful substances and because they are enriched with skin-protective ingredients. Both Aloe Vera and vitamin E will maintain your baby’s skin healthy and rash-free.
Another thing we like is the thickness of the wipes. Unlike many other products, these wipes are made to clean all types of messes. However, we do feel that the manufacturer could have improved the final quality a little bit.
Apart from that, these baby wipes are unscented and perfect to use through the various stages of development. As an overall, they are the wipes that satisfied us the most!