Finding the best skin care products for your baby is essential if you want to keep the little one happy at all times. The baby eczema cream is one of these products. Although many parents overlook its importance, the truth is that all babies will deal with eczema sooner or later.
To choose the best baby eczema cream you should first know what type of eczema you’re dealing with. Nevertheless, if you don’t feel like reading, click on the links below to check out our selection of the best products on the market.
Baby’s skin is more delicate than that of the adults. In fact, the skin of the newborns and infants is easily subject to rashes and desquamation, to seborrheic dermatitis, diaper dermatitis, atopic dermatitis, infantile psoriasis, and other types of conditions.
In most cases we talk about passive phenomena; this means dermatitis will pass by itself and the application of a baby eczema cream is not necessarily needed. However, sometimes, certain manifestations may be the signal of a major dermatological problem or a sign of a systemic disorder. For this reason, it is essential for new parents to make a difference between the various types of baby eczemas.
Types Of Baby Eczemas
Baby eczema or dermatitis is a problem that affects the skin and that can manifest in different ways. The most common type of baby eczema is atopic dermatitis. Nevertheless, there are many other types of eczemas.
As in adults, eczemas in babies tend to manifest mainly through symptoms such as skin rash, redness, and that annoying itchy sensation. In some cases parents can observe the appearance of pustules, often followed by the formation of crusts.
The face and the private parts of your baby are the most interested areas, but eczema can also appear on the limbs or other parts of the body too. In most cases, these types of eczemas are contact dermatitis caused by allergens or irritants.
- Diaper dermatitis: also known as diaper rash, is the most frequent cause of eczema in babies. The condition manifests with a reddening of the skin in the genital area, usually caused by the prolonged contact with poo and wee. Because of the moist and warm environment formed inside the diaper, the baby’s skin cannot breathe and it becomes itchy and sore.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: is less frequent and manifests itself with the formation of small, yellow scales on the scalp, forehead, and eyebrows. This condition depends on the excessive fat production by the sebaceous glands.
- Atopic dermatitis: is an inflammation of the skin due to a combination of genetic predisposition and external causes, such as cold weather, irritating foods, allergies. Atopic dermatitis is frequent in babies and one of the main causes of eczemas on parts of the body other than the genital area.
- Inflammatory psoriasis: is an inflammatory skin disease that occurs in babies with genetic predisposition after exposure to triggering factors, such as infections, drugs, emotional stress, and even climatic factors or mechanical trauma.
- Ichthyosis: determines a group of genetic disorders characterized by a generalized skin desquamation.
While in most cases of baby eczema the advice of your trusted pediatrician is essential, in some cases new parents feel that it’s worth trying a good baby eczema cream. But how to choose it? Follow our tips below!
How To Choose The Baby Eczema Cream
Given the variety of baby eczema creams available on the market, it is important to learn how to choose the safest and highest quality product for your baby. Here are a few tips to follow if you want to buy the cream without consulting your baby’s pediatrician first.
- Specific for babies: like all the other products for children, the baby eczema cream should be specifically made and dermatologically tested for their delicate skin. The main difference between a baby cream and an adult’s eczema cream is the shelf life and storage conditions. Moreover, most baby creams are certified by the pediatric organizations as safe to use on the delicate skins of newborns and infants.
- Shelf life: talking about shelf life, the cream you choose should have a short one. In fact, the longer the cream’s shelf life, the more preservatives and chemicals it contains. And since we mentioned chemicals, make sure the cream you choose is free of parabens and other harmful additives.
- Ingredients: aim to choose a baby eczema cream made of natural ingredients. The presence of parabens, minerals, and paraffinic oils in the composition of the cream is unacceptable. All these refined substances are detrimental to the delicate skin of the baby.
- The position of the ingredients: a thing to check when looking for a determined ingredient in the list is its position. The further the ingredient is positioned in the list, the smaller is its quantity in the cream. Often, manufacturers state that a certain cream contains an expensive and effective component, but in the end, you might find out that its quantity in the cream is negligible and it will probably have no effect.
- Aspect and smell: the presence of dyes and fragrances in a baby eczema cream is not desirable. Both dyes and fragrances are pretty aggressive chemicals that can cause further irritation or allergic reactions.
- Age limit: a cream suitable for toddlers aged between two and three years is not appropriate to use for a newborn or infant. Baby eczema creams should have the recommended age stated on the package, and you should aim to respect it if you want the cream to be effective.
Best Baby Eczema Cream For Delicate Skin
1. Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy Skin Protectant
One of the most popular baby eczema creams among parents and also recommended by pediatricians, Aquaphor is a uniquely formulated product designed to restore the baby’s skin in a minimum time. This skin protectant contains 41% Petrolatum, an ingredient that allows oxygen flow and helps heal the skin.
The cream is specially formulated to be used on baby’s dry and irritated skin, and it is effective against diaper rash, minor skin injuries, dry cuticles and drool rash.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding the active ingredient, Petrolatum works as a skin protectant that is able to soothe irritation. The ingredient provides a protective coat to the skin, preventing the natural moisture of the skin from evaporating.
The other principal ingredients in this cream are the panthenol, which is a vitamin B derivative, and glycerin, an ingredient that is able to draw and hold moisture to the skin, maintaining it hydrated and soft. Both ingredients are used in numerous high-quality skin care products.
Things We Liked
- Action: Aquaphor is formulated to soothe and reduce the most common types of baby eczema, including diaper and drool rash, minor skin injuries and dry skin.
- Pediatrician recommended: another thing we like about this cream is the fact that it is recommended by pediatricians, a further guarantee for its quality.
- Active ingredient: Petrolatum is present in the cream in a proportion of 41%. This ingredient allows a proper oxygen flow, helping heal the skin.
- Line: Aquaphor baby eczema cream is part of a line of baby skin care products that include a healing ointment, a shampoo, and a baby wash.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The cream feels a bit greasy at first, although it is absorbed by the skin rapidly and it doesn’t leave oily residues.
2. Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Calming Body Moisturizer
If your baby is 3 months old or older, then another excellent baby eczema cream to consider is the Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Calming Body Moisturizer. This cream is specially designed to soothe and protect the skin from eczema and it can be used on all parts of the body.
The cream is approved by the Eczema Society of Canada and it is clinically proven to provide an immediate and long-lasting effect on dry and itchy skin, as well as on skins affected by diaper rash.Check Price on Amazon
The cream is specially formulated to be suitable for babies older than three months but also for children or adults alike. Talking about baby safety, the cream is free of harmful chemicals such as parabens, fragrances, steroids, and nut oils.
Because of the high-quality ingredients, the cream is easily absorbed by the skin. It is highly moisturizing and helps repair the natural skin barriers.
Things We Liked
- Clinically tested: Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Calming Body Moisturizer is clinically tested to offer a quick relief for dry and itchy skin without causing allergies and infections.
- Soothes skin: this baby eczema cream contains a combination of two ingredients found in our skins. Thanks to these ingredients, the moisturizer is efficient for hydrating and soothing damaged skin.
- Nonirritating formula: this cream is developed by dermatologists. It is hypoallergenic and proven to be gentle on sensitive skin.
- For all ages: this baby eczema cream is developed for all those suffering from atopic dermatitis, eczema and other skin conditions, either children or adults.
Things We Didn’t Like
- This cream is also rather greasy, although the calming effects are almost immediate.
3. Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm
Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm is a cream specially formulated to cure atopic dermatitis although it has positive effects on other skin conditions as well. In fact, the cream has great effects on curing diaper rash and other forms of baby eczema.
This nighttime balm is made of active natural oats. The choice of high-quality natural ingredients is a big plus, as many parents put their trust in creams containing natural ingredients. Moreover, the Aveeno baby eczema cream helps soothe the baby’s dry and itchy skin without leaving a greasy feeling.Check Price on Amazon
Although the cream is specially formulated for babies, it can be used by people of any age, including adults suffering from chronic skin conditions.
Another thing we like is the fact that the cream is free of harmful chemicals, and, above all, it is free of parabens and phthalate.
Things We Liked
- Active colloidal oatmeal: oatmeal have been long recommended for curing various skin conditions, including baby eczema.
- Skin protectant: apart from soothing irritated skin, this cream acts as a skin protectant. It moisturizes the skin and prevents dehydration.
- Sizes: the cream is available in two sizes, a 1 oz. cream and a package of 11 oz. In this way, you’ll be able to use the larger box at home and take the smaller one with you on the travels.
- Line: this baby eczema night balm is part of a complete line of baby eczema treatment solutions that includes a day cream and a baby wash.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The cream has a thick consistency and it is hardly absorbed by the skin. Nevertheless, it helps relieve the itchiness of eczema almost instantly.
4. Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Crème
Eucerin Baby Eczema Relief Body Crème is another excellent baby eczema cream made with natural ingredients and oatmeal. This cream is developed to calm itchiness and soothe irritated skin from the first use.
The Eucerin cream is recommended by dermatologists and pediatricians alike. The formula is clinically proven to improve skin hydration and protect the skin from further damage. The main active ingredient in the cream is the oatmeal, although additional ingredients increase the effect.Check Price on Amazon
Other ingredients we like are the Licochalcone and the ceramide. The first ingredient is formulated to soothe and improve the appearance of red and irritated skin, while the latter strengthens the skin’s natural barrier and improves its condition.
Last but not least, this cream is gentle on the skin and provides immediate and long-lasting improvements.
Things We Liked
- Appropriate for all age groups: this cream is appropriate for babies and children aged three months or older, but it can also be used by adults with delicate skin.
- Natural ingredients: the cream contains natural oatmeal and other natural ingredients, such as seed oil and glycerin.
- Purchase options: the cream is available in a single tube with a capacity of 5 oz. Alternatively, you can choose to buy it in a pack of three, four, six, or nine tubes.
- Harmful chemical-free: the cream is free of dyes, fragrances, or steroids and it is suitable for babies above three months old.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Because of its rather light formula, the cream doesn’t have impressive results on severe eczema.
5. Era Organics Healing Ointment for Babies 2oz.
Last but not least, the Era Organics Healing Ointment for Babies is a baby eczema cream we really liked. The manufacturer claims this cream is made of 100% natural and organic ingredients. Moreover, the formula is approved by the USDA.
The cream is natural and hypoallergenic. Suitable to be used for a wide range of baby skin conditions varying from diaper rash to seborrheic dermatitis, this cream promises to heal and strengthen the natural defenses of the skin.Check Price on Amazon
This baby eczema cream is rich in nutrients and suitable to use for the babies with delicate or sensitive skin. Among the main ingredients, we can name the chamomile and beeswax, two ingredients renowned for their soothing and antibacterial effects.
Other ingredients include cocoa butter, coconut and avocado oil, calendula, and other whole herbs extracts.
Things We Liked
- USDA approved: this cream is made exclusively of natural and organic ingredients. It is safe to use on the skin of newborns and infants regardless of their age.
- Deep action: the cream is developed to deeply moisturize the skin. It also reduces redness and protects the skin from infection.
- Safe to use: the cream is free of all harmful chemicals such as parabens, fragrance, phthalate, and mineral oils.
- Cruelty-free: an important thing from an ethical point of view is the fact that the cream is not tested on animals and it is developed completely cruelty-free.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The cream does wonders on the lighter forms of eczema. Nevertheless, it might be less efficient in cradle cap or autoimmune skin disorders.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Finding the best baby eczema cream for delicate skin is often a matter of personal preference. Each body reacts differently to cosmetic products, therefore the best thing is to try your favorite brand and see how the skin of your baby reacts.
Among all the creams testes, the one we liked best is the Era Organics Healing Ointment for Babies. The main thing we like is the natural formula and the use of organic ingredients. Thanks to the choice of high-quality ingredients, the cream is suitable for babies of all ages.
Another thing that we love is the fact that the cream is produced without being tested on animals. This cruelty-free system is a great plus, as the manufacturer shows its respect for the environment.
Moreover, we like the fact that the cream is USDA approved. Thanks to all these features, we can say that this is one of the best baby eczema creams available on the market.