The baby bouncer is an accessory loved by moms around the world. Designed to pamper the little ones until they fall in a sweet nap, these items are the perfect parenting aid, calming your baby down when you don’t have the time to hold her.
Choosing the right baby bouncer for your child is difficult. For this reason, I created this guide to help all new moms decide which is an adequate model. However, if you don’t feel like reading, use the links below to jump directly to our selection of the best baby bouncers on the market.
|BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft||$$$$$|
|Fisher-Price Infant to Toddler Rocker Dark Safari||$$|
|Fisher-Price Baby's Bouncer Geo Meadow||$|
|Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer||$$$$|
|Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker||$$$|
The choice of a baby bouncer is more complicated than you can imagine. There are dozens of models and you can literally lose your head and get confused. This accessory varies from simple to accessorized with toys and activity centers. Some move when your child is moving while others are powered by batteries.
As you could expect, the prices also vary widely. So, how should you choose? Like for any other item designed for newborns and infants, rely on quality, price, and features you’re interested in.
Why Invest In A Baby Bouncer
A baby bouncer is an essential to have in the nursery, especially since the child becomes interested in the world around him. This usually happens around the second month of life, when the infant starts feeling uncomfortable in the crib or cradle during the day.
In fact, from the second month of life, the baby tends to stay upright and keep the head above the rest of the body. A baby bouncer is that item designed to keep your baby in a comfortable position when you’re not able to hold him.
Most bouncers available on the market have reclining backrests that will allow the baby to sleep and some of them come with numerous additional features.
But the most important advantage of a baby bouncer is that it provides a comfortable and safe place to a newborn. Once you secured the harnesses around your baby, you will be able to leave the little one unattended while you carry on with the daily chores.
To help parents have a little spare time from rocking, most bouncers also have a rocking function and entertainment centers.
Types Of Baby Bouncers
On today’s market, there are dozens of models of baby bouncers. Some of them swing or cradle. Others have variable swing speeds, music, and other electronic toys.
Moreover, some baby bouncers boast backrests with multiple recline positions while some even have night lights designed to relax the baby.
Regardless of the model, a good bouncer should be covered with a removable and washable pad. The bouncer should also be lightweight and easy to handle, yet sturdy and resistant to hold your baby securely.
Lastly, keep in mind that most baby bouncers are designed for newborns and small infants. Most manufacturers recommend them for children up to six months of age and a maximum of 25 lbs. Nevertheless, some manufacturers propose models that can be used for up to two years and they usually come with different adjustments and toys able to entertain both infants and toddlers.
How To Choose The Right Baby Bouncer
Whether you like a classical model of baby bouncer or a more technological one, there are a few things to consider before investing in this accessory.
- Seat: the first and foremost thing to check when buying a baby bouncer is the seat. If the seat is not comfortable, your baby will probably be fuzzy each time you place her in the bouncer and the item will not be of much help. The seat should be padded with a soft material but avoid seats with too much padding as they will not provide proper support. The padding should be easy to clean, whether is washable or waterproof. Moreover, you should invest in a model with an adjustable backrest that reclines to various positions.
- Frame: one of the most important yet often overlooked characteristics of a baby bouncer is the frame. The frame doesn’t only define the stability of the bouncer but also the bounce range. In fact, depending on the design, the bounce can range from slight to super bouncy. The material the frame is made of is also crucial to check. Choose a bouncer with a frame made of sturdy metal and remember that safety comes first. Lastly, you should also check whether the frame is fixed or foldable. If you travel often or live in a small house, you might want to choose a bouncer with a foldable frame.
- Safety: when talking about safety, the most important thing to check is the certification. Pay attention to choosing a bouncer that is certified by the national agencies. Once you know the item you like is certified, check the weight limit and harnesses. The straps that hold the baby in place should be strong and durable, and it is advisable to choose a bouncer with a higher weight limit as it will take longer to outgrow.
- Entertainment: there are numerous models of baby bouncers that come with no entertainment at all. While these bouncers are usually of a high quality, your baby might get bored with them as he grows up. If you aim to keep your baby in the bouncer for a longer time, choose one that comes with a toy bar, music and sounds, lights, and even with a vibrating seat.
The Best Baby Bouncer Reviews
1. BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft
The use of advanced and technological bouncers often requires the use of batteries. Despite the fact that a bouncer is usually used for no longer than six months, dealing with low batteries is always annoying. This is where BabyBjorn Bouncer Balance Soft steps into the scene.
Balance Soft is a technologically advanced bouncer that doesn’t require the use of batteries. The product is presented by the manufacturer as an entertaining accessory that uses the baby’s movements to activate the swing.Check Price on Amazon
While having loads of fun the baby will also build and improve his balance and motor skills. Moreover, this bouncer offers the right support to the baby’s back and neck. The seat is covered with fabric that fits perfectly to the baby’s little body, distributing the weight evenly to ensure a proper development.
Things We Liked
- Suitable for infants and toddlers: this baby bouncer is suitable for babies between 0 and 2 years old because it turns into a chair when the baby grows.
- Ergonomic shape: Balance Soft is designed to offer the correct support to babies throughout the various development stages and it has 4 easily adjustable positions.
- 100% cotton fabric: the lining of the seat is removable and washable. Made of 100% cotton, it is hypoallergenic and it bends gently following the movements of the baby.
- Folding: this baby bouncer is designed to be easy-to-carry. It is equipped with a handy spraying bumper and its lightweight construction makes it easy to move and transport.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Expensive: compared with the competition, this baby bouncer is rather expensive for the features it offers. Nevertheless, its quality is indubitable.
2. Fisher-Price Infant to Toddler Rocker Dark Safari
We continue our list of the best baby bouncers looking at one of the most popular on the market, the Fisher-Price Infant to Toddler Rocker. This bouncer is the top choice of many parents because of the quality of materials and the versatility of use, not to mention the attractive price.
The bouncer is covered with a removable soft padding featuring safari animals. The joyous theme not only draws the interest of the child but it also matches well most nurseries, regardless of the interior design.Check Price on Amazon
However, the most important characteristic of the bouncer is the comfort it provides to the little one. The bouncer is designed to hold babies up to 40 lbs. and it features a spacious reclining cradle seat. Thanks to this characteristic, the seat is comfortable for newborns and infants, supporting their weight evenly throughout the growing period.
Moreover, the cute toys hanging on the bar that overlaps the baby will certainly entertain your little one with their lively colors.
Things We Liked
- Calming vibrations: this baby bouncer is equipped with a vibrating system designed to soothe younger babies and rock them to sleep.
- Removable toy bar: the Infant to Toddler Rocker comes with a removable toy bar on which hang three attractive toys. Two of them are bat-at toys that stimulate the baby and the other is a musical elephant.
- Foldable: easy to transport or store away, the baby bouncer is foldable and lightweight.
- Reclining seat: depending on the preferences of your baby and on whether she’s napping or visually exploring the world, you will be able to adjust the seat to the desired recline.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Loud vibration: the seat is of a high quality and it comes at a great price, yet the vibration function is rather loud and it might disturb your baby’s sleep.
3. Fisher-Price Baby’s Bouncer Geo Meadow
Fisher-Price Baby's Bouncer Geo Meadow is a truly inexpensive yet reliable baby bouncer designed to provide comfort and soothe the baby. The natural movements of the baby set the bouncer in motion while there is also the option to turn on calming vibrations.
The main characteristic of this bouncer is the comfort. The seat is designed to keep the baby in a comfortable position and it is covered with a soft, machine-washable pad. To keep the baby securely, the seat is also equipped with an adjustable three-point harness.Check Price on Amazon
This baby bouncer is designed to hold babies with a maximum weight of 25 lbs. The manufacturer recommends using the bouncer only until the baby is able to sit unassisted.
Regarding entertainment, the bouncer features a removable toy bar to which are fixed three spinning toys featuring a zebra, a lion, and a monkey.
Things We Liked
- Bright color toys: the toys on this bouncer are designed to catch the attention of the baby and help him develop senses such as touch and sight.
- Two padding designs: the manufacturer proposes two designs for the padding suitable for baby boys and baby girls. It will be easy to match the bouncer with the nursery.
- Calming vibrations: the motion of the bouncer is determined by the natural movements of the child. Yet, if you feel your baby needs something more to soothe, you can simply turn on the calming vibrations.
- Machine-washable padding: the padding is easy to clean and it can be washed by hand or in the washing machine.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Durability: the bouncer doesn’t give the impression of a sturdy product and the screws that hold the parts together are rather short. Moreover, the backrest is fixed and the toy bar is not padded.
4. Graco DuetConnect LX Swing and Bouncer
A baby needs way more than a bouncer for the first months of life and many moms consider investing in two-in-one products. If you would like to have both a swing and a bouncer, the DuetConnect LX by Graco might be the product you are looking for.
The swing and bouncer is ideal to soothe the baby and it offers her the possibility to lay down and sleep or stand upright. The product is equipped with built-in vibrations and it has speed settings that will let you adjust the level.Check Price on Amazon
A great feature is the dual power option that will let you decide whether you want to power up the seat using batteries or an outlet. In this way, you will be able to save the life of the batteries when at home yet use the vibration features when traveling.
Another feature we like is the dimension of the seat. The bouncer has a spacious seat with different reclining positions and a removable head support. This gives the baby plenty of room to grow and it can be used for babies up to 18 lbs. In swing mode, the product is suitable for babies up to 30 lbs.
Things We Liked
- 6 swinging speeds: finding the right pace to delight your baby might be tricky, but with this swing and bouncer you’ll have plenty of options.
- Melodies and sounds: the bouncer has 10 melodies and 5 nature sounds that stimulate the baby and help her develop the senses.
- Toy bar: play is essential for development and thanks to the toy bar equipped with multiple toys the bouncer easily becomes an entertainment center.
- Secure: the bouncer will keep your baby securely in place thanks to the sturdy 5-point harness system.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Noisy: similar to other baby bouncers with vibration, the Graco swing and bouncer is annoyingly noisy. It might disturb the baby and it certainly is a pain for the parents.
5. Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker
Not all parents love swings and if you’d rather invest in a product that grows with your baby, this Infant-to-Toddler Rocker by Fisher-Price might be a more appropriate choice. This bouncer and rocker is perfect for babies between 0 and 2 years old. It has a low profile frame that is perfect for newborns and the sleek modern infant seat turns into a toddler rocker easily.
The bouncer is suitable for babies up to 40 lbs. and it boasts a roomy and comfy seat padded with a removable and washable pad. The pad features a three-point harness and the kickstand folds out, allowing for an easy transformation of the seat.Check Price on Amazon
Moreover, the bouncer’s backrest has two recline positions that allow your baby to rest and play comfortably. Regarding play, the bouncer also features a toy bar with two colorful toys that stimulate the baby’s senses.
Things We Liked
- Vibration button: the bouncer movement is triggered by the natural movement of the baby. Nevertheless, the seat features a vibration button designed to help soothe the baby.
- Stationary seat: the bouncer is equipped with a kickstand designed to transform it into a stationary seat.
- Removable toy bar: to transition from baby bouncer to toddler rocker you’ll only have to remove the toy bar and change the recline position of the seat.
- Up to 40 lbs.: the bouncer can support weights of up to 40 lbs. and it can be used for all the growing period in the first years of life.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Weak motor: although the bouncer is of a good quality, the motor that determines the vibration of the seat is not really resistant and it might break easily.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Choosing the best baby bouncer was far from easy. There were numerous features we had to consider and, above all, numerous additional characteristics. Nevertheless, considering the versatility of use, ease of transport and storage and the overall sturdiness, the best baby bouncer on the market is, according to us, the BabyBjorn Bouncer Balance Soft.
Although many parents might consider this model pretty basic, the truth is that it is one of the safest. Moreover, the simple design makes it easy to use in all circumstances, even when traveling.
The bouncer uses the baby’s natural movements to bounce and it transforms into a convenient toddler seat when the baby outgrows the bouncer stage. However, throughout the first year of development, this bouncer offers an adequate support to the baby’s back and neck.
The only downside of this bouncer is the price. Nevertheless, the overall characteristics of this product are those of a baby bouncer designed to last!