A baby blanket is one of the first garments your newborn will need. Usually, a baby blanket is designed to keep your baby warm and comfortable, especially in the colder months, but a blanket can have many other benefits on the development of the baby.
On the market, there are dozens of models of baby blankets. Read this guide to learn how to choose the right one. If you don’t feel like reading, use the links below to see our selection.
I remember when I was pregnant with my baby. The baby blanket was one of the first items I chose, but I remember the hassle of searching for information and finding out what type of blanket my baby actually needed.
There are different types of baby blankets, various materials, and choosing the size is also a delicate matter. To help new moms pick up the best blankets for their bundles of joy, I’ve put up this buyer’s guide and selected some of the best models on the market for you. Enjoy!
Different Types Of Baby Blankets
To choose the right baby blanket, you should first make a difference between the various types available. There are four main types of baby blankets, which are then classified based on materials, sizes, and characteristics.
- Receiving blankets: are the first blankets that will cover your baby immediately after birth. Despite this, receiving blankets are probably the most multifunctional and can be used to swaddle the baby immediately after birth, to lay her on the floor or in unfamiliar places, to clean your baby from spit and drool, and more. Most of the times, these blankets are made of cotton or other natural materials and rarely exceed the size of a square yard.
- Swaddle blankets: the second type of baby blankets you’ll need is swaddle blankets. They are designed to cuddle and make your baby feel protected after birth, but they have many other benefits. In fact, according to specialists, swaddled newborns sleep better and have a lower SIDS risk compared to babies who are not swaddled. These blankets are usually made of cotton and are available in several types and designs.
- Crib blankets: these are the baby blankets usually used to provide comfort and warmth to your baby when sleeping. They can be made of various materials, such as cotton, flannel, or fleece. Moreover, they can come as part of a baby bedding set or on their own. When choosing a crib blanket, think about safety and comfort, rather than aesthetics.
- Comforter blankets: are designed to provide a sense of security to the newborns and infants. They are soft blankets, usually made of fleece, and often come with an integrated plush toy. When choosing them, make sure that the plush toy is sturdy and can’t be torn into small pieces.
How To Choose A Baby Blanket
Regardless of the type of baby blanket you need, there are a few common rules to follow when choosing the right one for your child.
- Material: the most important thing to consider is the material the blanket is made of. Newborns have sensitive skin that needs to breathe, therefore choosing a blanket made of a breathable material is essential. Cotton is the best choice, even better if organic. However, there are other breathable materials to consider, such as bamboo fibers.
- Season suitability: the baby blanket should also be chosen based on the season. Summer blankets should be lightweight, highly breathable, and able to protect your baby from the sun without overheating him. On the other hand, winter blankets should provide sufficient warmth, yet they must be breathable and filled with hypoallergenic padding.
- Colors: regarding the colors, I’m not talking about aesthetic considerations but safety ones. You should make sure the colors are natural and not harmful to your baby. Most pediatricians advise against colored blankets as dyes can contain lead or other chemicals. If choosing a colored blanket, wash it before the first use.
Choosing The Right Baby Blanket Size
The different types of baby blankets come in different sizes, so here is a quick guide to choosing the right one.
- Receiving and swaddle blankets usually have between 18 and 36 square inches. My recommendation is to buy a larger size, as your baby will outgrow an 18-inch blanket quickly.
- Multi-use blankets should have at least 30×40 inches. They can be used for swaddling, to lay your baby on them in unfamiliar places, to cover the car seat or crib, and for many other purposes.
- Crib blankets are usually rectangular and measure 40×60 inches. This size is ideal for infants older than 6 months. Regarding younger children, pediatricians recommend avoiding them, as they represent a SIDS hazard.
Baby Blanket Safety Considerations
As far as safety is concerned, the baby blanket should be simple and have no hazardous decorations. I already mentioned that safety and comfort should be considered before aesthetics.
For this reason, you should avoid choosing blankets that have ribbons, buttons, or other types of decorations that can be easily removed. The only acceptable decoration is a stuffed animal on a comforter blanket, but in this case, you should pay attention to the quality of the toy.
Regarding crib blankets, avoid heavy quilts and opt for lightweight blankets made of cotton, flannel, or wool. Quilts have poor breathability and they are hard to move by a newborn or young infant, contributing to the incidence of SIDS.
Knitted blankets are cute and fashionable, but make sure to choose a tightly knit model. Newborns can easily get their limbs or even heads caught in the larger holes, which can potentially strangle or harm them.
Baby Blanket Alternatives
If you are mainly looking for a crib baby blanket, you should know that pediatricians advise against their use for at least the first 6 months. As an alternative, you can opt for a baby sleeping bag, which is a much safer option.
Baby sleeping bags can be made of cotton, fleece, or other breathable materials. Follow the same safety rules when choosing them and make sure they are suitable for the season.
Best Baby Blanket For Newborns
1. Luvable Friends Flannel Receiving Blankets
A set of receiving blankets is one of the first things new moms and newborns need. From all the options available on the market, Luvable Friends Flannel Receiving Blankets stands out.
This set of four receiving blankets is ideal for multiple uses, such as cuddling or swaddling. Moreover, the blankets can be used as nursing or stroller covers, as burp cloths or to keep the baby warm when sleeping. The blankets are designed to be suitable for newborns and babies and have a dimension of 28x28 inches.Check Price on Amazon
On the other hand, the blankets are made of 100% super soft flannel cotton and are ideal for the colder seasons. They are machine washable and the material gets softer and softer with every wash, providing an increased comfort to your little one.
Regarding the design, you’ll be able to choose between 19 different styles that can suit babies of both genders or that are designed specifically for baby girls or baby boys.
Things We Liked
- Material: the flannel cotton is a natural, breathable material ideal for newborns. These blankets are designed to provide a great comfort to the babies.
- Pack of 4: most moms know that a receiving blanket is never enough. This pack of four blankets is convenient and it comes at a great price.
- Design: you’ll be able to choose between 19 different sets containing coordinated blankets. Each set contains a combination of solid color blankets and blankets decorated with cheerful patterns.
- A perfect gift: the blankets come wrapped in a gift ribbon and they are a great baby shower gift.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The blankets are rather thin and smaller than the regular receiving blankets.
2. Simple Joys by Carter’s Baby 7-Pack Flannel Receiving Blankets
Simple Joys by Carter's Baby 7-Pack Flannel Receiving Blankets is another popular set of newborn receiving blankets designed to satisfy the tastes and respond the needs of most moms. The blankets are ideal for swaddling, cuddling, and burping, but can also be used as a car seat, nursing, or crib covers.
The manufacturer is renowned for the quality of its garments, and it doesn’t disappoint with these baby blankets. The blankets are made of a blend of cotton and polyester, come in a pack of assorted colors, and are machine washable.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding the colors and design, the manufacturer proposes a single version of this set suitable for both baby boys and baby girls. The tonalities are neutral and vary between shades of grey and yellow.
The size of each blanket is 30×30 inches, which is ideal for newborns and infants up to 6 months. When the baby outgrows the blankets, they can be used as burp cloths or for alternative purposes.
Things We Liked
- Easy to clean: the blankets are machine washable and easy to clean. The material gets softer and softer with each wash, being comfortable for the baby.
- Amount: the blankets come in a set of seven, which is more than convenient for most moms. The set includes a selection of patterns and solid colors.
- Design: suitable for both boys and girls, these receiving blankets boast lovely, coordinated designs and a splendid combination of colors.
- Size: measuring 30×30 inches, the blankets are suitable for all newborns and for most infants in their first months.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The material is very thin, therefore they are only suitable to use in the hottest months.
3. Oenbopo Baby Knit Blanket
If you are looking for the right baby blanket to keep your baby warm in the coldest months, Oenbopo Baby Knit Blanket might be the solution you were looking for. This knitted baby blanket is suitable for babies between 0 and 12 months and designed to keep your little one warm and comfortable.
The blanket is made of soft acrylic wool which is comfortable to touch, and designed to wrap around your baby securely thanks to a fast opening and closing via lateral buttons. The blanket can be opened completely when needed or used as a sleeping bag.Check Price on Amazon
To protect your baby from cold, the blanket also features a hood. This feature also makes the blanket suitable to use as a swaddle blanket during winter.
Another thing we like is the vast selection of colors. The blanket comes in 6 solid colors that are easy to match with your personality or with the gender of the baby.
Things We Liked
- Design: this baby blanket is designed to transform from a regular blanket to a baby sleeping bag in a blink of an eye.
- Comfort: the blanket is made of soft acrylic wool which provides a comfortable sensation to the baby. The blanket is also ideal to use as a comforter.
- For newborns and infants: the blanket is suitable for babies between 0 and 12 months, and you’ll even be able to find an use for it when the baby is older.
- Pattern: the knitted pattern is adorable and will make your bundle of joy look heavenly in the family photos.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The closure with buttons is beautiful but not secure for the baby.
4. Hudson Baby Printed Mink Blanket with Dotted Backing
This super soft mink blanket from Hudson Baby is another splendid baby blanket to consider if you’re mainly looking for a multifunctional product designed to be used more as a playing mat and comforter rather than a cover or swaddle blanket.
This blanket is soft and snuggly. It measures 30x40 inches and it is ideal for all babies from birth up to 1 year old. Thanks to the double sides, the blanket is an ideal crib blanket in the chiller evenings and provides a pleasant sensation when used as a playing mat.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding its characteristics, the blanket is made of mink fabric and boasts two different sides. One side is super soft and smooth, designed to soothe the baby, while the other side is dotted and designed to provide a pleasant sensation in contact with the baby’s skin.
Regarding the patterns and colors, the blanket comes in four colors and each of them has a solid color side and a printed side decorated with adorable characters.
Things We Liked
- Design: regardless of what model of blanket you choose, the design stands out. The printed side has colors perfectly coordinated with the solid color side and the animals are adorable.
- Material: the soft material is designed to soothe the baby and provide comfort in the crib.
- Size: the blanket has a size suitable for almost all babies between 0 and 12 months. Thanks to its weight, it is a perfect crib blanket for the colder months.
- Patterned side: one side of the blanket has dots on it, making it easy for parents to use the blanket as a playing mat.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although designed to provide warmth and comfort, the blanket is thinner than it seems.
5. Luvable Friends Print Coral Fleece Blanket
The Luvable Friends Print Coral Fleece Blanket is a great baby blanket for newborns and infants designed to soothe, keep warm, and comfort your baby. The blanket is made of super soft fleece that is warm, cozy, and comfortable, and it is ideal crib blanket or playing mat.
The blanket measures 30x36 inches and it is suitable to be used as a receiving blanket in the colder months. Moreover, it is also perfect for swaddling or to use as a nursing cover. The soft fleece is pleasant on the skin, while the blanket boasts a great breathability.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding styles and colors, the blanket is available in 9 colors and patterns. In fact, you’ll be able to choose from a selection of colors suitable for boys, for girls, or for both genders.
The blanket is easy to clean and it is machine washable. Thanks to the cute decorative ribbon that wraps it, this blanket is also great for a baby shower gift.
Things We Liked
- Fabric: the baby blanket is made of super soft fleece fabric designed to soothe and comfort the baby.
- Colors: the blanket is available in 9 different colors and patterns suitable for babies of both genders. Neutral colors are also available.
- Multiuse: the blanket is ideal to use as a receiving blanket, to swaddle the baby, or as a crib blanket. Moreover, you can use it as a playing mat.
- Easy to clean: the blanket is machine washable and easy to clean with neutral baby detergent. It maintains its softness even after several washes.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Babies can easily pull the fabric out of the blanket, and although it’s not a choking hazard it is still annoying and potentially dangerous.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, the Luvable Friends Flannel Receiving Blankets are the best baby blankets for the newborns. This main thing we like is that you’ll get not a single baby blanket but four at a more than affordable price. The blankets are of quality and perfect for newborns and young infants.
They are made of 100% flannel cotton, a natural and breathable material that is safe for the babies. Moreover, the sets contain four blankets in assorted solid colors and patterns, which are suitable for both girls and boys.
The blankets are also multiuse and ideal as a receiving blanket, nursing cover, crib blanket, swaddle blanket, and more.
Despite being rather thin, the blankets are versatile and ideal for all moms and babies. Combined with thicker crib blankets, they are simply ideal for your newborn.